This artistic reconstruction shows the Boar’s Head Inn as it was in the mid 17th century and was completed for MAS by local Middleton artist Steve Whitworth. The timber frame on the right was constructed in 1622 and research into probate inventories show it was operating as an Inn as early as 1623. The left hand building is dated as 1654 and was probably occupied by the Walkeden family. At a later date, the left hand building was split into two, a door and another gable was added. By the early 19th century, the Inn was knocked through into one building and the sessions room was added.
There has been an Inn or Pub in continuous operation at this site for nearly 400 years, surely qualifying the establishment as the oldest pub in England?